I found this in my email today. This is a good thing for anyone who is still underwater on their home. Pay attention to your situation and get it refinanced if the time is right for you:
FHA Refinance of Borrowers in Negative Equity Positions: Program Extension
Today, the Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) published Mortgagee Letter (ML) 2014-23, FHA Refinance of Borrowers in Negative Equity Positions (Short Refi): Program Extension, which extends the expiration date of the program through December 31, 2016, and reiterates the permitted use of proceeds from government entities and instrumentalities of government to extinguish a portion of a borrower’s negative equity. All loans originated under the Federal Housing Administration’s (FHA) Short Refi program must close on or before that date. All other provisions announced in ML 2010-23, and amended in ML 2012-05, remain in effect.
FHA’s Short Refi program supports refinances for borrowers who owe more than the current value of their home. It also plays an important role in helping to align property values with mortgage obligations for sustainable, long-term homeownership.
Quick Links and Resources
· View today’s FHA Refinance of Borrowers in Negative Equity Positions: Program Extension Mortgagee Letter 2014-23 at http://portal.hud.gov/hudportal/HUD?src=/program_offices/administration/hudclips/letters/mortgagee
· Mortgagee Letter 2012-05—FHA Refinance of Borrowers in Negative Equity Positions: Program Enhancements at http://portal.hud.gov/hudportal/documents/huddoc?id=12-05ml.pdf
· Mortgagee Letter 2010-23—FHA Refinance of Borrowers in Negative Equity Positions at http://portal.hud.gov/hudportal/documents/huddoc?id=10-23ml.pdf
· Contact the FHA Resource Center:
- Visit our online knowledge base to obtain answers to frequently asked questions 24/7 at www.hud.gov/answers.
- E-mail the FHA Resource Center at firstname.lastname@example.org. Emails and phone messages will be responded to during normal hours of operation, 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m., ET, Monday through Friday on all non-Federal holidays.
- Call 1-800-CALLFHA (1-800-225-5342). Persons with hearing or speech impairments may reach this number by calling the Federal Information Relay Service at 1-800-877-8339.
View Externally Here